- 09, Allocations: On partitioning and formatting a thing.
- 26, Baba is Turing Complete (external): External link to Matthew Rodriguez’s demonstration of Turing completeness in the video game, Baba is You.
- 10, The avocado with legs: On Avo, a peculiar little adventure from Playdeo.
- 01, On Twine (and my first Twine project): On Twine and making my first weird little Twine experiment, yum yum you are a bread.
- 15, Tetris 99: Early thoughts on Arika’s new battle royale Tetris for the Nintendo Switch.
- 11, Build your own dial-up ISP in 2019 (external): External link to an explanation of how to set up a dial-up ISP in one’s home.
- 10, Curtailing Amazon purchases: On my personal recent issues with Amazon customer support, and how core aspects of the experience seem to be decreasingly consumer-centric.
- 30, RIP, Wii Shop Channel: On a sad day for the Nintendo Wii
- 04, Be gone, 2018: A bunch of stuff I liked that came out in 2018.
- 23, 365 Numbers: In which I potentially learn about numbers on the daily.
- 10, Site updates, supporting open source software, &c.: Various bits about the goings-on of my blog, as well as a handful of open source projects that help keep the thing running (and how to support them).
- 06, "I don't know what to say" (external): External link to a github issue thread regarding an interesting bit of malicious code.
- 03, Portal, Commodore 64 style: Brief thoughts about Jamie Fuller’s Commodore 64 adaptation of Portal.
- 11, The VCSthetic: On the chip behind the typical aesthetic of Atari 2600 games.
- 26, A few of my favorite: Tetrises (Tetrii? Tetrodes?): On the versions of Tetris that I routinely pull out.
- 23, Get angry again (Unicode edition): In which I discuss the erosion of civil liberties but also UTF-8, I guess.
- 16, Honey walnut, please: A bagel-fueled ramble on the difference between emoji glyphs and the Unicode Standard.
- 08, JPEG Comments: On an early ‘90s attempt at DRM via commenting image data out of JPEGs.
- 25, Americana: On an upcoming tabletop RPG, and the experiential details that make it stand out to me.
- 18, Solo play: Cardventures: Stowaway 52: On a choosable narrative presented via cards instead of book.
- 01, Sea Duel: On Sea Duel, a rather complex ‘programming’ game for the Milton Bradley Microvision.
- 29, Oh-so-many colors: In which I struggle with colorful things.
- 22, Time itself (external): Article on SWLing Post about our government shuttering the nation’s time-synchronizing radio transmitters.
- 19, 256 pixels: On successfully rebuilding a functional Milton Bradley Microvision, and playing several games in their 256-pixel glory.
- 16, Accessibility myths: The misguided war on merged cells: On why ‘don’t merge cells’ is bad accessibility advice.
- 06, Lava lamps as HRNGs (external): Interesting article on Wired about Cloudflare’s use of lava lamps as hardware random number generators.
- 03, Amplitude Modulation: On the absurdity of proprietary digital streams taking over AM radio.
- 30, DuckDuckGo: On the plausibility of using DuckDuckGo (a search engine that isn’t Google) as a primary search engine.
- 25, HTTPS and categories: I turned on HTTPS and fixed some categories. This is honestly a pretty boring post.
- 16, What pros?: On my lack of understanding regarding the professional markets Apple is targeting.
- 11, Another World: Reminiscing about a game in which you die, die, and die some more.
- 03, Part Time UFO: On HAL Laboratory’s adorable first entry into mobile gaming.
- 01, Kakoune: In which I experiment with a modal text editor that stands out by merely not being vim.
- 25, Solo play: Coffee Roaster: On Coffee Roaster; an excellent bag-building game for one.
- 05, Revisiting my Linux box: On bringing my Linux laptop back up to speed.
- 30, Accessibility myths: The deceitful panacea of alt text: On the pitfalls of immediately jumping to ‘alt text!’ as an accessible data presentation solution.
- 16, decolletage.vim: On my new vim color scheme, which looks a lot like this blog.
- 11, Examining 'my .vimrc': On checking out the .vimrc files of others.
- 02, Reversing Markdown: In which I muse over the pains of converting from (something) to Markdown.
- 01, Accessibility myths: The delusion of accessibility checkers: In which I gripe over how positively broken so-called accessibility checkers are.
- 27, A few of my favorite: Slide rules: In which I discuss a number of impractical mathematical devices.
- 24, netrw and invalid certificates: On getting past invalid certificates with netrw.
- 18, Nancy (ca. 2018): The comic strip Nancy is good again!
- 12, NPR's 150 greatest albums made by women (external): NPR released an inspiring list of the 150 best albums made by women. Not without its flaws, but great nonetheless.
- 06, FOSTA-SESTA
- 02, Mirror: In which I gush upon Mirror, a genuinely wonderful tabletop RPG.
- 28, Trying Twitterific: In which I largely condemn Twitter and briefly praise Twitterrific.
- 08, Distant megaphones: On the sounds of the District.
- 06, An interesting memcached/UDP amplification attack (external): External link to a Cloudflare blog post about an interesting amplification DDOS attack using memcached as the vector.
- 20, Weird Amazon/CreateSpace fraud (external): Krebs on Security article about a very peculiar scam involving CreateSpace
- 08, Dotfile highlights: .vimrc: Some of the (hopefully) more interesting aspects of my
- 02, Personal Log: On reducing the friction of keeping a personal log in vim.
- 26, The death of Miitomo: Mourning the loss of a very important virtual dollhouse.
- 20, Firefox mobile: On the mobile version of Firefox, and how it compares to Chrome.
- 18, Boing Boing is being sued over a hyperlink (external): In which a frivolous lawsuit is brought against the parent company of Boing Boing.
- 06, Interpreting 69lang (a ;# dialect) in dc: On transliterating a pointless language in order to build a pointless interpreter in
- 28, "You're scaring us" (external): On some very poor decision-making at Mozilla.
- 26, As Queen, I keep dying: On Reigns: Her Majesty, an absolutely brilliant sequel.
- 08, Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp: My mixed bag of thoughts on Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp.
- 06, Firefox Quantum: On a long-time-coming version of Firefox that isn’t pure misery.
- 05, SVG d6: On using classes to hide/show pips of a six-sided die in an SVG.
- 25, Antiquine: Notes on a weird quine-like programming challenge.
- 18, Firefox fixes (et cetera): In which I discuss a handful of frustrating touch-ups to brhfl.com to accommodate both Firefox and, weirdly, iOS.
- 13, QR codes from box-drawing characters: In which I waste a wee bit of time demonstrating that box-drawing characters can be used to render QR codes.
- 08, A billion points: an SVG bomb: On overloading web browsers with a ~2kB SVG file.
- 05, The internet sucks (external): The internet is a cesspool and we are all suffering for it.
- 20, SVGs: On preparing SVGs for this here website.
- 17, Aztec diamonds: Shifted like tangrams: On having puzzled my way to the solution to the Aztec diamond problem.
- 16, Aztec diamonds: Testing the reversed Aztec numbers: In which I confirm the first 50 billion or so numbers from A046092 can be reversed to reveal the dimensions of the square they would grid.
- 12, Aztec diamonds: How I came to learn of them: Of grids and Aztec diamonds
- 07, Golfing in Eukleides
- 05, Fight our administration's hate, now. (external)
- 15, Tetris has been implemented in Conway's Game of Life (external)
- 11, Sinclair Scientific Programmable: On a quirky old ‘programmable’ calculator.
- 24, A few of my favorite: Pink pencils: In which I briefly review (or something) six pink mechanical pencils.
- 17, Bubble sort in dc: On writing a bubble sorter in dc
- 08, Sieve of Eratosthenes
- 03, Post updates: A few notes on some older posts, as well as general blog musings
- 29, Eukleides: On Eukleides, a geometric drawing language and interpreter
- 26, A call to donate to Lambda Legal (external): In which I beg people to donate to NPOs fighting for queer folks (again)
- 24, Nth-order Fibonacci sequence in dc: On calculating arbitrary-order Fibonacci sequences in dc
- 22, Bitcoin Explained (with Emoji) (external)
- 19, Nearest Fibonacci number in dc
- 17, Scaling visualized data using common multiples: On a scaling problem in visualized information.
- 10, Anchors, away!: On ‘anchor’ as legacy web terminology.
- 09, How not to write about trans folks: In which I get too depressed over a poorly written article about Wendy Carlos
- 02, The Classic Sound of the Moog Ladder Filter (external): Linky-link to a wonderful little tribute to the Moog ladder filter.
- 28, Field recording with the Tascam GT-R1: On using a handheld guitar recorder with contact microphones.
- 22, Inline audio player: On my little inline audio player for posts.
- 21, Compromised: On having my money snatched from me.
- 16, Americium-241 as a hardware random number generator (external)
- 06, Brief thoughts on the iMac Pro: Mulling over the octodecacore iMac.
- 01, Discoveries: On what we’ve discovered.
- 12, A chessboard for pebbling: A little playable version of a math puzzle spotted on Numberphile.
- 12, Speech synthesis: On the increasing unnecessary use of flawed speech synthesizers.
- 10, Arbitrary precision: On always forgetting about arbitrary precision in dc.
- 23, Separating cd and pushd: On the differences between cd and pushd, and the follies of conflating the two.
- 20, Tagging in Acrobat from the keyboard: Tips for navigating the seemingly innavigable tags panel in Acrobat.
- 18, Extracting JPEGs from PDFs: On extracting JPEGs from PDFs on the command line
- 11, Fireworks, and its bloated PNGs: On why one should be very, very careful exporting PNGs from Fireworks.
- 10, Binaries and hex editors: On what possible reason hex editors have for existing.
- 10, Playlist for a new turntable: Ten tracks to christen a new turntable
- 07, Breaking Binaries (external): Great article on intersectionality in classical composition competitions, essentially.
- 05, Template updates: Just a few notes on some template polish.
- 04, Semaphore and sips redux: On chained commands in parallel/semaphore.
- 02, Darwin image conversion via sips: On a Darwin-specific image conversion binary.
- 29, Of lynx and curl: On using lynx and curl in tandem to pull lists of links.
- 10, Game-in-a-post: Rolling Market: A playable version of my solo dice game, ‘Rolling Market’.
- 07, Rolling Market introduction & rules: Rules to a little solo dice game I’ve been working on for a while.
- 26, Lenovo Yoga Book: On a weird laptoppish, tabletish, non-keyboardish device.
- 21, Game-in-a-post: Sid Sackson's Solitaire dice: A quick little in-post implementation of a great solo dice game.
- 09, Solo play: One Deck Dungeon: On One Deck Dungeon, a fantastic dungeon-crawl card/dice game for one or two.
- 07, Solo play: Deep Space D-6: On Deep Space D-6, an anxiety-inducing worker placement game for one
- 07, Solo play: Friday: On Friday, a solo card game about saving Robinson Crusoe.
- 02, Solo play: Onirim: On Onirim, a wonderful solitaire… dream-crawler?
- 30, Solo play: Intro and Dungeon Roll: The first in a series of brief write-ups re: solo board and card games.
- 12, Brains: Japanese Garden: Quick thoughts on a Reiner Knizia puzzle
- 10, This is not crazy: On the casual deprecating usage of language describing mental illness.
- 05, Position Descriptions: On incomprehensible technical job descriptions.
- 03, The Lazy He: On condescending justifications for maleness as a default.
- 26, Yamzod: On a new dice-chucking concept
- 16, Super Mario Run: Initial musings on Mario’s first mobile foray
- 02, Karuba: Solo: On variant rules for solo Karuba play
- 24, Karuba: On the potential for correspondence play of the game Karuba.
- 15, Many organizations need support now; Trans Lifeline is one (external): Just my suggestion out of a thousand of suggestions of organizations that need donations right now.
- 03, Automatic excitement: video as default: On video as a default medium, and the death of Vine
- 27, Musical numbers (external): The On-Line Encyclopedia of Integer Sequences creates music from… well… integer sequences!
- 26, No escape: On the MacBook Pro’s missing escape key, and what ‘pro’ means.
- 21, Game-in-a-post: Dim Corridor: A puzzling little diversion, playable in the post.
- 20, "Everything we assumed about how people use the dictionary was wrong." (external): A Merriam-Webster lexicographer discusses the dictionary’s Twitter presence
- 11, Pizza dreams: In which I discuss dreaming about pizza repeatedly.
- 11, Making multiple directories with mkdir -p: Quick little tip for creating a handful of directories all at once
- 03, Game-in-a-post: Yz (or, on post-specific JS/CSS requirements in Hugo): A single hand of a five-die diversion.
- 01, Finding the greatest Yahtzee score: On calculating the best Yahtzee score, given a roll.
- 29, Fractran (external): Great article on coding in a bizarre language built of fractions.
- 20, wo: 9-byte modulo: On small word sizes vs. full instruction sets.
- 14, Telephoto: On what makes a telephoto lens a telephoto lens.
- 13, wo: Registers: Initial thoughts on registers in wo.
- 10, Swiftpoint GT: On a peripheral I wanted to love.
- 08, Pi from pi (external): In which Rhett Allain uses the (seeming) randomness of pi to approximate pi.
- 06, wo: Stacks: Thoughts on stacks in wo, and what to do with them
- 05, wo: Implementing the interpreter: Thoughts about how to make a wo interpreter work.
- 31, wo: A truth machine in wo3: On wo instructions 2 & 3, and a single-byte implementation of a truth machine.
- 30, wo: Numbers: On numbers in wo, big and small.
- 29, wo: Word size: On adjusting word size in a wo program.
- 26, wo: Introduction: Introducing ‘wo’, an as-of-yet theoretical code golf language utilizing variable word sizes
- 25, Your Brand New Linux Install (A letter to my future self): A letter to my future self who is about to begin a minimal Ubuntu install
- 22, Of mice and meh: On my struggle to find the perfect mouse.
- 13, Alphasmart Neo2: On a keyboard with a screen, and not much else.
- 10, Collatz sequences in dc: Rendering out a fun mathematical phenomenon in dc.
- 09, dc as a code golf language: In which I question the viability of dc for code golf by golfing ‘99 Bottles of Beer’
- 07, A night of Pokémon Go: Reflections on a night of catching Pokémon
- 30, Licensing: On the liberal licensing of this site’s content.
- 25, dc: A primer on dc, the POSIX arbitrary-precision calculator
- 07, dvtm and the mouse: On buggy mouse behavior in dvtm.
- 24, SCorCh, Part Two: Continued thoughts on Simple Correspondence Chess
- 20, SCorCh - Simple Correspondence Chess: On ‘Simple Correspondence Chess’, a conceptual experiment
- 19, Smartenter: On smartenter and fish
- 13, Job Control: On job control in fish (the friendly interactive shell)
- 12, Multitasking vs. Simultasking: On a couple of imagined multitasking paradigms
- 12, ep: On using eLinks as a pager
- 06, dc Syntax for Vim: On writing a vim syntax file for a rather ugly language.
- 10, On multitasking: On multitasking
- 09, Back to my MacVim: On MacVim, which I have largely outgrown since 2009